This Court House designed by architect Robert Derrick and completed in 1934, required modernizing all the building systems, and space plan layouts, which also included the design, coordination, and construction of a new egress stair tower. The light colored metal that wraps the stair tower has a reveal pattern to work well with the existing lime stone of its court yard location. The grey metal holds all the circulatory functions and structures, while anchoring the design. The curtain wall brings in daylight, views, and actively displays the tower’s purpose. The contemporary stair tower contrast nicely with the historic nature of the nearly century old building.
This design was created at EYP in a collaborative environment by a talented team of architects which included the design lithe of Charles W. Jacobs Jr. as its primary source.